Holiday Shopping is underway and the Texarkana Texas and Texarkana Arkansas Police Departments are stepping up patrols around stores and shopping centers. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind to avoid becoming a victim this holiday season.
- Always let someone know where you are going and what time you expect to return.
- Park in well-lit areas that are not isolated.
- Always lock your car doors and never leave valuables in plain view inside your car.
- Keep all purses and bags zipped and snapped closed. If using a shopping cart, try to secure your purse or bags with the child locking system.
- Do not flash large amounts of cash when paying for merchandise. Carry only a minimum number of credit or debit cards at one time.
- Always shop with a buddy, you are less of a target when you have someone with you.
- If you have to take a phone call or text message – don’t let your guard down and get distracted while shopping.
- Do not carry large amounts of merchandise at one time. Make frequent trips to your vehicle to secure purchases in your trunk.
- Be suspicious by nature. If you get a gut feeling that something is not right, then act on your instinct. If you feel uncomfortable in a situation, contact the store’s security officer or the police department. Don’t hesitate to report any suspicious people to the police non-emergency number 903-798-3876.
- Speak with children about a plan if you were to become separated while shopping. Keep smaller children secure in a stroller or shopping cart at all times. Do not allow your children to wander.
Questions about holiday safety can be directed to the Public Information Officer of the Texarkana Texas Police Department at 903-798-3114 or firstname.lastname@example.org.