As construction to widen interstate 30 in Texarkana gets underway, just expect a mess. Here are some changes to be looking for during the week of October 11.
Eastbound traffic on Interstate 30 through Texarkana will be moved to the outside lanes during the coming week as construction progresses on the widening the highway.
Expected traffic impacts:
- Shifting of eastbound traffic from current position to the existing right/outside shoulder and right/outside lane. Once this shift is accomplished, expect that some of the existing acceleration/auxiliary lanes will become a shorter lane for vehicles merging into the mainlane traffic. (Watch for merging traffic and prepare to safely move to the left as you see vehicles entering the mainlanes. Like the Welcome to Texas sign says, “Drive Friendly- The Texas way!”)
- Right-lane closures expected nightly, 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. Westbound, Richmond Road and I-369/US 59 S area Eastbound, beginning at FM 989/Kings Highway
- Entrance/exit ramp closures expected nightly, 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. Westbound, Richmond Road and I-369/US 59 area Eastbound, beginning at FM 989/Kings Highway
- Daytime shoulder closures
- Back-filling pavement edges (eastbound & westbound)
- Adjusting existing signs (eastbound & westbound)
- Removing existing pavement markings and placing temporary markings to prepare for traffic shift to shoulder and outside lane
The following is a link to TxDOT’s general I-30 Corridor Public Information page: https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/atlanta/i-30-corridor-bowie-county.html
The following is a link to the I-30 Widening Project (the project currently under construction) Public Information page: https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/atlanta/i-30-widening-project-4-lane-to-6-lane.html
Anyone having any questions about construction work can call the Texas Department of Transportation Texarkana area office at 903-838-8574 for more information.